Friday, September 30, 2011

Take my picture by the pool, 'cause I'm the next big thing.*

It's been four days since I've updated and I feel a little guilty. I guess I'm still figuring out how I want to approach this little self-expression corner I've created for myself. Do I want it to be a daily update on my life, even if it's a boring day of just working and watching television? Or do I want it to be a place to write out my thoughts on various subjects? Maybe a blog of daily (and, obviously, not so daily) essays? Or maybe a nice combination of both? My plan is to write a book. On what, I'm not sure. (Although, a children's book on Mateo the Military Cat has been mentioned more than once.) And when, I'm not sure about that either. (But having an entire year without a husband vying for my attention is probably a good time to start.) My thought is that writing of any kind is always necessary to get the creative juices flowing, whether it's enthralling or yawning. Yet there's probably only so many posts I can write about being a bookseller or missing my husband. "Okay, we get it. You sell books, customers are annoying, you're a Single Wife (sallyannemcbride trademark. Also, I'm not sure typing that every time actually means anything. I should look into trademarking.), and you miss your husband. What else ya got?" And to be honest? Maybe not much more than that for right now. But I'm writing again and putting my thoughts out there for all the world to see. (Or for at least the part of  the world that knows this little blog exists, now including the random bookseller in Pennsylvania my mom met today and told about my blog. True story. Speaking of which: Hi, random bookseller!)

So for today's enthralling (or yawning, you decide) entry, you get a glimpse into my day off. It was sunny and warm this morning (In Southern California? What a surprise!) and I wanted to get my tan on (or as much of a tan as I can get, slathered in SPF). Our complex has three pools and I went to the one closest to our apartment. There's a bigger, heated pool behind the main office/clubhouse, but I always feel like I'm on display when I go there. There's nothing like laying out and having a tour of prospective renters parade past you while they get a tour of the "heated pool where residents can swim and enjoy the lovely, palm tree-lined surroundings year-round". I never know if I should wave or hide my face behind my NOOK. Turns out, I was on display either way. When I got to the pool, no one was there which is not always the case when it's summertime and every kid in the complex is splashing and yelling poolside. Yet, not fifteen minutes later, a couple of maintenance workers showed up and started planting flowers. They were on the other side of the pool so I still felt like I had a smidge of privacy. Until a couple more showed up. And then...a couple more, now planting flowers about five feet to my left. Needless to say, it got a little awkward. I didn't want to flip over and call attention to myself (although, I'm sure my hot pink bikini was probably doing that for me) and I didn't want to leave because that would seem...rude? Plus, I had just downloaded a new book on my NOOK that takes place in NYC in the Roaring Twenties and I was really getting into the whole flapper lifestyle. (Well, not me exactly. The character. Although, those girls did wear some cute, fringe-y dresses.) I stayed until they started pouring mulch right.behind.my.head and figured I had reached my sunshine limit.

But, hey, at least I live somewhere where I can actually lay out in almost-October.

Proof that clouds DO exist in SoCal.     

*Except not really...I mean, probably not. One never knows when one might be discovered. (By the way, that's a line from a Weezer song about Beverly Hills. Close enough.)       

No comments:

Post a Comment