Thursday, September 8, 2011

Oh, hi. I'm new here.

I've been putting off starting this blog for fear of writing the first entry. Also, I hate when people start a blog, but never update it. I don't want to be THAT girl. I intended to start it almost four weeks ago, but clearly, intimidation got the better of me. Why four weeks ago and not, say, right now? Because four weeks ago my husband of 16 months was deployed to Afghanistan. For a YEAR. That's right. 365 days with no husband, in a state I had barely visited, let alone lived in, and not a mom in sight (because sometimes you just need your mommy). So it's me and the best cat ever, finding our way in The OC without our favorite guy by our side. In honor of conquering my (admittedly irrational) fear and writing my first official blog entry (I'm guessing "notes" I've posted on MySpace and now Facebook don't count), here are 10 things you need to know about my life. After all, if you're going to be following me on this journey, you should probably get to know your guide.

1. I'm the baby of my family with a sister (married to a Newfie, eh) and a brother (married, with the sweetest baby you ever did meet). My family is super close and they all still live in the state of my birth- Ohio. Speaking of Ohio...

2. Go Bucks! I graduated from THE Ohio State University and love Buckeye football. It's sort of a religion around there.

3. Jesus and me? BFFs. He's gotten me through a lot of trials and will definitely be getting me through this one.

4. My husband is a communications officer in the Marine Corps. This is his third deployment, but the first one since we've been married. He's currently stationed at Camp Pendleton and we're living happily under the palm trees in The OC. Correction: I'm living under the palms trees. He's living in the desert with nary a tree in sight. (Or maybe there are trees around him? I've never been there.) 

5. We still own our home outside of Washington DC (where Dan was stationed before this) and I have to admit, I miss it. As much as I enjoy SoCal with its lovely beaches and equally lovely weather, I miss the East Coast and plan on living there again...just as soon as the Marine Corps lets us.

6. Parentheses? I heart thee. I'm sure you've noticed my use of them already. (Because they're fun.) I was an English major so I'm a little obsessive about punctuation and grammar and spelling and...  

7. I sell books for a living. I love to read and I love my job. Do I love the customers? Um. Next topic please.

8. I watch TV. A lot. I'm not ashamed. Another guilty pleasure? Info-tainment magazines (US Weekly, People, Entertainment Weekly).

9. I've visited all 50 states, except for Oregon, Washington, Alaska, and Hawaii. I've also traveled outside of the country (Italy, Greece, France, Croatia, Turkey, Canada, Spain). I'm a big fan of vacations.

10. I called the blog "put your brave face on" after a song by Delta Goodrem, an Australian singer (and Jonas Brother girlfriend, but don't hold that against her). My husband proves his bravery on a daily basis. I'm working on it.   

I don't promise to write every day, but I do promise to try. ...Or at least think about trying.       

3 comments:

  1. About time McBride! And I promise to remind you if you forget to update regularly...because I would never start a blog and then never update...well anyway, make sure you stick with it! We'll get a book deal for you yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're doing this. You're inspiring me to dust off my old blog (but I have nothing to say).(See how I'm using the parentheses?) (It's just for you).

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love parentheses as well (and use them constantly). i'm also a big fan of a dash-you know, to separate my thoughts. and when you do get to oregon, make sure you hit powell's books in portland. you'll lose your mind!

    ReplyDelete