Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Single Wifedom.

It's been four months since I said goodbye to my husband and sent him off to that giant sandbox Over There. In retrospect, these four months have gone by so fast. It's hard to believe that we've been apart for 120 days (give or take a few). It's not the longest we've ever been apart, but it's most definitely the longest since we've gotten married. I waited so long (so.very.long) to get married that it seems a little (okay, a lot) unfair to be without my husband for a day, let alone 365 of them. I got married because I wanted my best friend to be my constant companion. (Well, not that best friend. Although, the husband jokes that I would probably be happier married to her on most days.) (It's funny 'cause it's true.) If emailing several times a day counts as having that constant companionship then my dream of marriage has been fulfilled. And, if it doesn't, that's okay. My dream of marriage was probably never very realistic the second I decided this Marine would be my husband. (Oh, sure. I decided way before he did.)

As a little girl, I never dreamed about my husband being away from me for months on end or being put in harm's way on a daily basis. I never thought he would be in uniform and carry big guns or have a job that would require us to move every other year all over the country, maybe even the world. (Except for that summer I was obsessed with Top Gun and wanted to marry Ice Man. Boy, was I disappointed to learn they don't usually play volleyball in just their dog tags and jeans.) To be honest, I assumed I would live in Ohio for the rest of my life, down the road from my parents, and married to a teacher. (Why a teacher? I don't know. It just seems like the thing to do.) I also never imagined I would have gelato in Italy or drink ouzo in Greece or eat tapas in Spain or walk where Jesus walked in Couldn't-Find-It-On-A-Map-If-I-Tried-Turkey. I never thought I would own a home a short drive away from the Nation's Capital. Not to mention, drive there (by myself!) and give tours to friends and family after having visited so often. Same goes for The OC, Los Angeles, and San Diego. Who would have guessed I would know Disneyland like the back of my hand? I've done a lot since I married my Marine and I'm fairly certain they're all things I NEVER would have done without him. I'm a Single Wife (sallyannemcbride trademark!), but I'm a lucky girl. I know when to count my blessings. I have a wonderful family (one). Wonderful friends (two). Most of all, a wonderful husband (three). Oh, and don't forget my wonderful kitty (four).

These past four months haven't always been fun and some days have felt like the length of six. We have eight months left before he's home for good, but it's probably best not to focus on that yet. (Because that sounds waaay too far away.) But I think I've done pretty well in 120 days. I've been strong. I've been independent. I've updated my iPhone. I've installed software on my laptop. I've changed a lightbulb. Overall, this Marine Wife is doing just fine on her own. And even though I sometimes selfishly wish he was a teacher and we lived in Ohio, just down the road from my parents, I couldn't have asked for a more perfectly imperfect life than the one I have.


       Husband: Do you think you'll regret this when I deploy for a year?
Wife: Just bring me back something pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment