Thursday, December 15, 2011

How about a drumroll...?

So this happened:

"...informing the entire (RCT-5 Marine) family about the early return of 40 of our RCT-5 Marines and Sailors due to the presidential directive to bring troop numbers back to what they were prior to the 2009 surge."

That's right, ladies and gentlemen. Forty of the Marines from Dan's unit will be COMING HOME BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Now, before you get yourself all worked up and excited for me, my husband is not one of them. I know, I know. I was disappointed, too. When we first received the official email, none of the families knew who would be coming home and excitement was high. I mean, I would assume it was pretty high. I know Mateo and I were trying to be all calm, cool, and collected, but secretly we had every finger (...paw?) crossed. I'm a pretty rational girl and I've been in the military biz long enough to know you never get your hopes up. About anything. Ever. That sounds very negative, but believe me. It's the way one has to be when your entire life is based on the whim of the government. So while I never really let myself believe that my husband would be one of the men coming home, I still let myself hope just a wee little bit.

I called my father-in-law immediately upon reading the email and was given quite the history lesson on the inner workings of the Corps and our government. My father-in law is a former Marine (Once a Marine, always a Marine!) and retired as a Lieutenant Colonel. If you have a question about the Marine Corps or the Bible, he's the man to ask. After speaking to him, my thoughts (fears? expectations?) were confirmed that my husband would most probably definitely not be coming home early. Whether it was fatherly pride or Marine intuition, he determined my husband was too important to the mission to leave. And he was right. Although, as my husband said after I finally sent an email saying the suspense was killing me, he "thought it was understood" that he wouldn't be returning early. Um, no. Most definitely not understood. (I mean, c'mon, men. Women aren't mind readers either.) But now? Heard, understood, accepted.

So that's it. That's the Big Secret. There are currently families overwhelmed with happiness that their Marine is coming home. I can only imagine their excitement. This must be the best Christmas present ever! On the other hand, I know there are families overwhelmed with sadness that their Marine is not one of the forty. I'm sure there is anger and bitterness and more than a few broken hearts. Forty families thrilled and much more than that disappointed. Those are the ones we need to keep in our thoughts and prayers. Those are the ones we need to pray find acceptance in this decision and to remember an early homecoming was never promised.

Heard? Understood? Accepted. Sir, yes sir!

(But do I still secretly hope and pray that if they can do an early homecoming once, they can do it again? HELL* YEAH.)

*Sorry, mom.

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel Sally. When I was deployed we would be called to formation and told that we were going home, only to have that decision change (several times). It was heartbreaking for us, but you understand that you are there to contribute to the mission and what the command says, goes. It's a roller coaster and it takes special people (like awesome supportive spouses like you) to deal with the disappointing news but accept it and keep the mission in mind. You and Dan are in my thoughts this holiday, and I'm sure you know that he is as excited to get home to you!

    ReplyDelete