Monday, May 28, 2012

At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them.*

I'm going to consider this a post contributed by a very special "guest blogger"- my husband. He posted this on his facebook in honor of Memorial Day and I felt it was more than worthy of a share. I'm so proud of him and so thankful to call him mine. I know this day is the "unofficial start of summer". I know you're having barbecues and laying out by the pool and enjoying your extra day off from work. But, as my husband states at the end of this post..."Just remember". (And I'll even add a "please" to that.) Just remember.
 
There is a memorial wall near my office here in Afghanistan where pictures document all those who have given the ultimate sacrifice while serving under the last three Regimental Combat Teams that have served here. It is a visual representation that things are much better than they were three years ago, but it also serves as a reminder of what we have paid to get here.

If you do not know someone to remember this Memorial Day, I ask you to Google two of my friends and take a moment in their remembrance. Captain Jesse Melton - he was a fantastic person, Marine, and a great friend who I had the honor to know while I was at a school for officers in the Marine Corps. He gave his life in 2008 in Afghanistan. Sergeant Kevin Balduf - he was a Marine's Marine who served with me in Afghanistan in 2004 and was awarded a Bronze Star for his actions that saved many soldiers. He gave his life in 2011 in Afghanistan, again as a man of action, and I'm certain he saved many lives that day as well.

It has been a long war; some have forgotten why we are here and others ask if it is worth the cost. I cannot answer that for everyone, but I wish to provide a glimpse of what is really happening here. I travelled through the poorest countryside of Afghanistan, the place where the Taliban began many years ago and resurged in 2007. That is where I saw an 8 year old girl who was dressed in traditionally Afghan garb, full of smiles, and was dancing on the side of the road as we passed by in our convoy. Some may not understand what that truly means, but she will be the unknowing beneficiary to the sacrifice Jesse and Kevin have made.

Enjoy your families, friends, food and the start of summer; just remember.

Semper Fi!
 
http://mmanetcom.marineclub.com/Kelly2012
(Additional comments from a father of one of our 3/5 Marines.)
 
*This is a line from an ode called "Ode of Remembrance" taken from the poem "For the Fallen" by Laurence Binyon. Look it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment