Sunday, October 23, 2011

Well, well, well. Look who decided to blog.

I apologize for my absence. I have no excuse. Well, no good one anyway. Life has been pretty typical the last two weeks- going to work, visiting Disneyland, watching movies on Netflix, reading on my nook, cuddling with my awesome cat. I'm not really sure I have much to say for this post, but I felt like I needed to check in. (Also, the husband pesters me every day there isn't a new blog post.) I still love my little creative spot on the interwebs. I promise not to forget about it entirely. Sometimes I just need to push myself back into it, whether I want to or not. I can always think of something to say so I will certainly not wait another two weeks to update. Pinkie swear. For now, I think I'll just give you a few small highlights of what's currently on my mind. Ready? Let's go.
Still loving my days with the Mouse.

*The troops are being pulled from Iraq and all should be home by the New Year. (Hooray!) I had several friends text/email/facebook me about it. It was just another reminder of how many people are out there, thinking about us and supporting us and wanting my husband to come home just as much as I do. Unfortunately, this withdrawal does NOT affect my husband and he will be staying in Afghanistan for the duration. I suppose, by some Obama miracle (Is that an oxymoron?), his deployment could be cut short, but I'm not holding my breath. At all. As with anything related to this military life, I'll believe it when I hear it, see it, and have a signed document stating so.

*Tomorrow starts the craziness that is to come this holiday season at the ol' bookstore. As the Lead of All That is Kids, I have a lot to organize, sort, and setup this week. I will have my fill of every book that plays "Joy to the World", has a chortling Santa, or claims to have an elf watch every move your child makes. (The Elf on the Shelf. It's real...and it's real creepy. Also, super popular. I will get a hundred phone calls a day from people DYING to own it. It's weird. And did I mention, creepy?) The holidays seem to arrive earlier every year and this one is no exception. It's not even Halloween yet and I'm pretty sure Christmas is just around the corner. And that I'm over it already.

*My roommate will be moving into her new place at the end of November. It's strange to think of her leaving already and how it actually makes me a little sad. It's been great having another person around to keep me company and watch a million episodes of House Hunters International with me. (Seriously. Have you seen this show? It's awesome. What I've learned: Never buy a house in Bulgaria. It may be cheap, but it's cheap for a reason. Secondly, European homes have small bathrooms and never seem to be too fond of shower curtains. Or shower stalls. Or anything resembling a shower other than a shower head sticking out of a wall.) I was a little reluctant about having a roommate, but now I'm very grateful I did. I'm hoping to have lots of visitors after she leaves so I won't feel quite so alone. (Hear that, family members? Friends? VISIT. I live in Southern California, for crying out loud. My weather is most assuredly better than yours. Guaranteed.)

I mean, really. Who wouldn't want to see us?

*I miss my husband. Yes, still. And always. It never really goes away. It's been over two months now and we'll hit three months as of November 13. This isn't the longest we've gone without seeing each other, but it's definitely been the hardest. When he deployed the other two times, I still lived at home and was surrounded by friends and family on a daily basis. Plus, I was used to not seeing him every day since he lived in a different state than me. It's been difficult to go from being married and spending every waking (and not so waking) moment together to absolutely nothing. Barely even a phone call. (Okay, yes. He called the other day and I didn't answer my phone. But I had just woken up! I was still half-asleep! It said the call was from Maryland! Excuses, excuses, excuses.) I am lucky, though, that I get emails every day. I guess that's the bonus to having a geek (aka Communications Officer) husband! Nevertheless, a phone call does not a hug make. Here's hoping the next eight months go just as quickly as the first two.

Comms are up. Good to go.

We're gonna be a-okay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment