Sunday, July 22, 2012

Today is far from Childhood...I held her hand the tighter.

I haven't written anything in a long time, and for that, I apologize. We're getting down to the wire of this deployment (Less than three weeks left! O.M.G.) and I've been squeezing in as much fun as possible. (That's not to say I won't have fun when the husband does return!) My mom and sister came to visit for an entire week. We had such a good time at Disneyland where we saw saw the Mouse, at California Adventure where we saw the Cars, and at the La Brea Tar Pits where we saw the mammoths (who were extra woolly).

Nothing beats a California sunset with my mama and seester. 

My best friend also came to visit and I swear we were sixteen again. I forgot how truly awesome it is to be with someone who knows everything about you. There's no need for backstories or explanations because she already knows...everything. We laughed until we cried, we had seriously serious discussions, and we sang country music at the top of our lungs. Oh, and we got tattoos. Because that's how we roll.

OSU girls ready for the Timmy and Kenny concert.

I promise to write very soon about the husband's homecoming and my feelings (and freak outs) about it. But, my main reason for wanting to post is my big sister's birthday today. She's currently in Canada with her (Canadian) husband and having a great time. (At least, I'm guessing she is. Note to self: call sister.) I won't tell you her age, except to say she's eight years older than me. I have an older brother who taught me everything I know about beer and sports and being funny. But my sister? Oh, she taught me...

*Just because your little friends are into *NSync, Backstreet Boys, and New Kids on the Block (...fifteen years ago), doesn't mean you have to assault your ears with that drivel. (Although, I admit to loving me some JC Chasez.) It's okay to know every word to every Gin Blossoms, Toad the Wet Sprocket, and Cowboy Junkies song. (Also, Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Violent Femmes, and Todd Snider.)
*Reading isn't just for nerds. Read often, read everything, and read outside of your comfort zone. A story with an unhappy ending? Read it anyway. An epicly long poem from the 17th century? Read it anyway. A romance novel just for fun? Read it anyway. Because, as we both came to realize...
*When you're an English major (as we both were), reading is part of the gig. As is proper grammar, appropriate punctuation, correct spelling, and editing every paper to within an inch of its life. She's a big-time editor for a big-time publishing company and I'm so proud of her. She took our shared love of using that red pen (which we both learned from our mother) and is making a living out of it. Kudos!
*When I was a kid, I loved to raid her closet. She always had the coolest clothes from The Limited (Outback Red, anyone?) and Express. She taught me how to wear scarves, brooches, and bodysuits. (Oh, the 80s. You were a melting pot of craziness.)
*It's okay if you're not the best chef in the world, but knowing how to bake a cake always comes in handy. (Even if it isn't homemade because Rainbow Chip is your little sister's favorite cake ever. Just be sure to teach her to make it with milk instead of water. It's the little things.)
*Sometimes, nature isn't pretty. (That's an inside joke, but there are some people who know the story. It's a little gross, and yet hilarious. Ask me about it sometime.)
*There have been times in her life when circumstances haven't always gone the way they were expected to go. While I know they were upsetting, she always just kept on moving forward. During this deployment, I've had moments when I just wanted to quit and move home, but being a strong woman and dealing with whatever life throws at you, was always the better decision. Motto: keep calm and carry on.  

   Happy Birthday to my big seester!
I lurve you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment