Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Wants, needs, and The Stones.

Once again, the Marine Corps has reminded me that "you can't always get what you want". (Or was that The Rolling Stones? Either way, they were right.) We found out today we're not going where we thought we would be going next and our future is pretty uncertain. Not that it was ever certain because, really, in the military, when is it ever? It just seems less certain than it did yesterday. But, to keep myself from being too dramatic, I don't actually know that where we thought we would be going would be the very best thing ever. It was just nice to have an idea of what was next and now that the idea is gone, I'm a little apprehensive. It's the fear of the unknown. (You know?)

I'm sure that wherever we go next WILL be the best thing ever. (Hello, my name is Sally Sunshine and I'm always positive!) I certainly didn't want to live in Southern California, but I've grown to love it. (Honestly. It's 80 degrees the week before Thanksgiving. LOVE.) Which also reminds me that I have a lot to be thankful for, no matter where we live. I'm thankful for friends who make me feel like family, a family who I'm happy to call friends, and a God who is overseeing my future. (I may not know what's next, but HE does. And that makes it okay.)

You know what else I'm thankful for?

  That no matter where I go, I still have him.
And that makes it better than okay.

Let's not forget the rest of the song because Mick really said it best..."You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need."

Happy Birthday, Marine Corps. 
You may not always give me what I want,
but you give me a man who looks good in uniform.
And who doesn't need that?

(Now please don't send us to Japan.)

No comments:

Post a Comment